DYKER HEIGHTS HISTORY
Street Renaming Proposals
At our meeting on April 14, 2009, Christian Zaino, DHCA Historian and President of the Dyker Heights Historical Society, updated us about his two street renaming proposals, for De Russy Drive and Walter Johnson Corner. Christian presented an interesting history of our neighborhood and the biographies of General Rene E. De Russy (1789-1865), the engineer under whose direction Fort Hamilton was built and whose estate became what is today known as our neighborhood of Dyker Heights, and of Walter Loveridge Johnson (1873-1953), founder and developer of Dyker Heights. Mr. Johnson's house was the first built (c. 1895) in Dyker Heights and once stood on the corner to be renamed. He donated the property where St. Philip's stands and our Dyker Civic meetings are held today. Please take a look at the applications and figures submitted by Christian as well as the newspaper articles.
Walter L. Johnson Individual Honoree Document Walter L. Johnson Figures
General De Russy Individual Honoree Document General De Russy Figures
We are pleased to announce that...
The NYC Parks Dept. has APPROVED the application to rename the circular drive in Dyker Beach Golf Course after General De Russy. "De Russy Drive" was offically celebrated on July 1, 2009.
Community Board 10 has APPROVED the renaming of the corner of 82nd Street and 11th Avenue after the Developer of Dyker Heights, Mr. Walter L. Johnson! Mayor Bloomberg signed the bill into law on December 28, 2009. On May 15, 2010, the street renaming ceremony took place for "Walter L. Johnson Corner."
"It's 'History' in the making: Dyker Heights Moves to Honor the Legacy of Developers and Designers", Bay Ridge Courier, Apr. 23, 2009
"Historian Seeks to Honor Dyker's Founding Fathers", Brooklyn Spectator, Apr. 25-May 1, 2009
"Board 10 Says: Dyker Heights Founder Should Be Honored with Street Name", Bay Ridge Eagle, June 4, 2009
"Board 10 OKs New Name For Dyker Heights Street Corner", Home Reporter and Sunset News, May 28-June 3, 2009
"Street Name Change?", The Brooklyn Spectator, May 9-15, 2009
"De Russy Drive’ Debuts", Bay Ridge Courier,
"De Russy Drive Make its Official Debuts", Bay Ridge Courier,